Monday, February 22, 2016

Sound Stage Week

Monday, February 22, 2016

We are all heartsick thinking we have to leave here a week from today.  We are living in a bubble, a perfect little world, and knowing that bubble will soon burst is just sad.  It makes me thankful we won't go directly home, but will have one last adventure in Austria.  Maybe the chaos of planes, trains and hotels for 5 days will help us feel more ready to return home.

As it is Monday with no touristy sites open, I decided to make the trek to the set (probably a mile or so from our flat - but I need the exercise as I'm enjoying Lithuanian treats way too much!).  Jacob chose to stay home, but I knew Kendalls were home since Maya has a fever today, so if he needed anything, he could run over.  He ended up hanging out with Braedon anyway, so he was much happier at home than being dragged around town.  

All of this week they will shoot indoors on a sound stage where sets have been built to serve as the interiors to all of the exteriors that were shot last week.  It was nice to be somewhere warm(ish) and dry and where there were places to sit.  There was some beautiful talent happening in front of the camera today, so it was just heaven to watch.  Being the director's wife has its advantages.  There was limited space in where the shots were happening and I got one of those spots.  Most people watch what's happening through the monitors that are set up outside of the sets where they can see how the camera is capturing the moment, but I want to watch the actors live.  I can see what they look like on camera for the rest of my life when I watch the video, but seeing the moment as its happening live, seeing their expressions up close, was just priceless for me today.


Outside the Baltic Film soundstage

He's even cool on a stage set


When I'm on set, I also eat lunch with Adam.  It's awesome to have a hot, yummy meal that I don't have to fix.  Then at night I can make a smaller meal.  On the outdoor shoot days, we would sometimes eat in Adam's trailer where he could warm up and rest, but today we ate with the crew.

By 5 pm, I knew it was time to head home and check on Jacob.  It's crazy - in the month that we've been here the sunset is noticeably later in the day.  I walked outside expecting it to be dark, but it wasn't.  The sunset is almost an hour later in the day than it was when we arrived.  By June I'm told it won't be dark until almost midnight.

Another advantage of being the director's wife was that Adam's assigned driver was able to drive me back home.  Tyson came with me so he could get some homework done, but first he went with me to get groceries.  I won't miss having to buy groceries every day or two.  We have to carry everything we buy several blocks, so we can't buy too much when we shop.  But even buying only a day or 2 worth of groceries, we still manage to have 3 or 4 times more items on the conveyor belt than everyone else when we check out.  I have no idea what everyone eats.  They either eat out or shop for each meal.  

It still feels odd to not have a pantry.  We wanted to try making cookies tonight.  I had to buy flour, soda and vanilla.  They didn't have vanilla, the liquid.  They only had vanilla flavored sugar.  I just used that mixed with the regular sugar, then added a little water.  The cookies had a slightly different texture.  It must be that we used all granulated sugar.  They don't have brown sugar that is the same fine texture as ours.  But the cookies still made a good family night treat.





No comments:

Post a Comment