Friday, February 12, 2016

Borsch on a Rainy Day

Friday, February 12, 2016

Tyson has decided he wants to work on the show.  I'm not sure when he's going to squeeze in any homework, but since this is what he's interested in doing as a living, it will be good for him to see how it all works.  Today was his first day.  I'm not sure he did a ton, but he fills in where help is needed and will probably do lots of "go for" type errands.  His report on the day was excitement at meeting all of the actors and getting to know the crew members.  This was the first day all of the actors were together, so it was a rehearsal day at the main production office.  Tomorrow will also be a rehearsal day and then the filming will begin on Monday.

Jacob and I were on our own for most of the day.  It was another day of steady rain/sleet.  It's tried to snow, but nothing has really accumulated.  All is does is make the sidewalks really sloshy.  You have to watch your feet the whole time so you don't step in puddles.  Some of them are pretty good sized.  They must spend all of the warm weather time fixing potholes and broken up sidewalks.

The rain took away a lot of our motivation to go out, but by lunchtime we were ready to brave the elements.  There is a pizza place near us called Charlie's Pizza.  We had also seen one in Klaipeda and there is a pretty steady stream of people coming in and out of it, so we figured it was a good place to try.  We were not disappointed.  There must have been 30 pizza choices on the menu - some of them very bizarre like tuna and mayo - but we each found what we wanted and it was delicious!  Jacob said it was even better than Costco pizza.  (And that's saying something for him, though I think lots of things beat Costco's pizza.)  It may be dangerous to know there is a yummy pizza place so close to us.
 Braving the rain to try out Charlie's Pizza.

Jacob is holding up his pizza and it is sagging down - which is proof it is good pizza.  "The stuff they give us at school sticks out straight as a board."

My real motivation for dragging Jacob outdoors was to have his help hauling home groceries - something we seem to do a lot of. But you can only carry so much at a time, especially when you are getting liquids and potatoes.  I decided to start shopping for our Sunday dinner, getting the heavy things close to home.  Then tomorrow I'll walk back up to Maxima to get the more specialty things I need.  Jacob really hates shopping, but he was interested in looking at the different types of snacks.  Yes, I bribed my child to go shopping with me and carry home a bag.


 Looking up our little street.  Right in the middle of the picture above the people walking in the middle 
of the road is the hanging sign for Azia Spa, which marks our courtyard.

 The stairs we have to haul the groceries up when we get home.

I took a picture of the picture that is at the top of our stairs.  I'm kind of in love with it.

We forgot to grab card games to bring from home.  They were on the packing list, but just didn't make it in.  At the time it just wasn't a strong priority.  We broke down and bought some face cards.  The 2 of us spent the afternoon playing Russian Rummy and watching a movie.

Because it is a Friday, several of the crew wanted to go out to dinner.  Marsh Morford served his mission in the Ukraine, and he discovered there was a Ukrainian restaurant not too far away.  I don't know if I would have dared eat there on my own, but going with someone who knew what to order was really fun.  We ate family style, so we got to try a number of things.  Surprisingly, my favorite thing was the Borsch.  We also had a platter of pickled vegetables and raw bacon (I couldn't get myself to try the bacon), traditional potato salad prepared in a few different ways - one with beef and peas, the other with seafood - and we had dumplings, each with different fillings: potato, seafood, beef, spinach and curd, and cherries with a sweet sauce.  On the walk back home, there was lots of mixing and mingling and getting to know others.  The adult conversation was nice.


I need to do better at the picture taking.  Jacob's is the only plate we got a shot of.  It's basically thin pancakes with a fried egg over lots of fried bacon pieces.  There was so much bacon, he only ate about 1/2 of it.  We thought the pig cast iron pan was cute, and that's why this dish got a picture.

My mom informed me that my blog isn't allowing people to post comments.  I'm really sorry about that.  I've tried to fix it, but I can't figure it out.  If you want to comment, you can email or text me.

No comments:

Post a Comment