Friday, August 7, 2009

Will the Real Adam Please Stand Up?

Have you ever wanted to be a fly on the wall and watch what your husband is like at work?

Well, that happened for me on Thursday.

I had one of those rare opportunities of really getting to see Adam in his element. He directs things frequently, but they are generally in distant locations or on a smaller scale. However, for the past 2 weeks, he was directing a project that he wrote about the Mormon Battallion for the Church's visitor center in San Diego (located just outside the walls of Historic San Diego). It was shot close to home and so the boys and I spent Thursday afternoon hanging out at the LDS Motion Picture Studio in Provo. Tyson elected to be an "extra" for the day and ran around for 9 hours in a pioneer outfit. Jacob, on the other hand, refused to wear a costume and instead wanted to either play Gameboy or follow his dad around. Since the second option didn't really work so well, he had unlimited hours with the first. Thankfully, there was another mom there with her son and she was tired of being on set, so she let Jacob hang out with her while she read.


That left me time to just watch. I know, but actually got to see, that Adam is really good at what he does. Because he was so busy, he had little time to think about my being there, so like that fly on the wall, I had the chance to just watch and listen without him really knowing I was doing it. It really feels good to know that he is the same person at work that he is at home when it comes to who he is at heart. But there was also a part of him that was not just the guy he is at home. I saw his creativity hard at work. I heard how others respected him as their leader. I watched as he confidently made quick decisions. He was Adam and dad, but on such a huge scale that I never get to witness personally. It was really incredible. And sexy! (Can I say that on PG-rated blog?) :)

And I know he loves what he does. Thursday was a very long day for me, and I was there 4 hours less than everyone else and I was able to sit a lot. But every night, no matter how tired, Adam came home happy and content. And I am a happy wife because I know I am married to someone who is truly creative and talented and real.

3 comments:

  1. That's AWESOME! However, given the opportunity, I'm sure he would say the same thing of you if he "watched" you at your full-time job of motherhood (when you think no one is watching). You're both great together! BTW, I don't think my husband has any clue or could watch most of what I do. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd be bored to tears watching David work. Computer this, linxus that, blah, blah, BLAH! But, it sounds like you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel is a descendant of David Pettigrew, who served in the Mormon Battalion along with his adult son. We hear some neat stories from Joel's Dad about it. I hope we can see Adam's work!

    ReplyDelete