March?! We were getting ready to go home this time last year, and we still have 7 weeks to go this year! And yet, it doesn't seem like that much time has really passed.
March came in like a lion. With the snap of the fingers it was colder again today. Not as freezing as it's been, but not the heaven it was yesterday either. We had skipped math yesterday to fit in our long day out, so we did some catch up work today. We are currently finding the area of a circle. Exciting stuff!
Tyson noticed a Chinese restaurant the other day as we were out exploring, so that was high on the agenda after I was done with work. When we got there, we were disappointed when I tugged on the door and it was locked. Darn - closed. And then the waiter walked by the door and pulled the door the other direction, showing us it wasn't locked and they were opened. Maybe it happens a lot there, but Jacob is sure it's a blonde thing to not be able to open the door. Silly me.
Our dining experience there was more adventurous than we thought it was going to be.
There are 2 Lithuanian traditions at restaurants. 1) The napkins are always on the table, often folded and in a cute holder. 2) They either bring out your utensils in a basket or lay them on the table after you order, bringing you just the silverware you will need for what you ordered.
At this restaurant, they brought out chaffing dishes - the silver "boxes" with candles in them on the table. The waiter put our plates on them until our entrees arrived. Then he moved our plates and put the hot food on them.
Just down the street was the Amber Museum. Thankfully, it was free because there's not much to see there. However, there were some really fun things they had made out of the amber. Jacob took this shot of his favorite piece.
Our fun courtyard finds for the day.
Sarah and I were looking forward to some shopping and thought for sure the boys would bail out and head for home. To our surprise, they wanted to come along. I took them all to a shop Christianne and I had found and loved last year. The shop owner and her mother make some of the things in the store. The other things are there on consignment. It was fun to check it out.
Tyson really wanted this suit - he's obviously in mission prep mode - but, alas, it was too big.
Jacob saw, and immediately fell in love with, this army jacket. A big part of his love for it was the fact that it had tons of pockets - and he loves to store things. I wasn't willing to fork it out for the glasses, but the jacket was a decent price so I caved.
Sarah and I saw and tried on several things that didn't really work for us, but then I spotted some classic cameras - which Sarah collects because of her love for photography.
Among them was a great old European camera. Such a great find! They also had a cute postal box that caught her eye. Those are the things that you really just have to grab when you find them. And then every time you see that thing when you get home, it makes you smile with the memory of finding it in such an amazing place.
We browsed all the way up Pilies (Castle) Street as we worked our way home and found a few more treasures. One of our last stops was a shop that had animal figurines - and the animals all had funny expressions on their faces. Sarah wanted to see how much they cost and we were all curious to see what else they had. The shelves in the shop were close together and some of the legs of the figurines hung off of the shelves. My first thought was, "I'm glad I don't have a little kid here." And then the crash. Tyson's bulky coat knocked one of the figurines off the shelf. He felt bad and I just told him to stand back. I turned away and crash. Again. I turned to him and said, "You need to leave the store. Now!" He left and I had to pay 12.50 Euros for the broken animals. I then hurried out to tell Tyson I wasn't really mad, just annoyed and my reaction was more sarcastic than anything. The clerk had acted so nonchalant about the figures breaking, that I couldn't help but think it must happen all the time and is perhaps an easy way for them to make a quick buck. It was irritating!
This is the archway we walk through into our courtyard.
We arrived home just in time to see the clouds part and the sun set.
And it beautifully lit the buildings in Town Hall Square.
We found Roman Holiday on Netflex once we got home. We wanted something to get us in the mood for our upcoming adventure. We relaxed as we enjoyed the beautiful Gregory and Audrey.

No comments:
Post a Comment